Here’s a collection of cards I created using my custom made candle stamp. I’ve found that it’s a really useful stamp to have as it can be used to quickly create simple birthday card designs. Also it I think it works really well with coloured stars made with a star shaped punch.
I knitted this little puppy from a pattern I found on Pinterest. It’s called Pupster, was created by FuzzyMitten.com and can be purchased on Ravelry.
It was a really quick and simple pattern to follow. I decided to embroider the eyes open as I made it as a gift for a new baby. The original pattern has instructions for a jumper but I decided instead to give him a green scarf to keep him warm which was simply a length knitted in sticking stitch. I also decided to make him all one colour apart from his snout. The original pattern has instructions to have different colour patches on his hands, feet and tail also. Due to the simplicity of the pattern it was easy to make this change so not only is it a good pattern to follow but also a versatile one.
This was my first attempt at carving my own stamps using the Undefined stamp carving kit by Stampin’ Up. It was a very welcome gift and a fab addition to my stamping equipment.
This is what the kit contains in the box and my first creations. A pair of owls and a candle. The kit has some designs to attempt so for my first stamp I used one of those which is the speech bubble pictured.
It is a really simple process. On some paper draw around the included wooden backings to get the bounds for your stamp design. Then with a pencil draw your design within those bounds. To transfer your design onto the foam you can then place the paper onto the foam and rub on the pencil. Then using the tools carve out the rubber where there is no pencil. I found it was good to start with the fine v shaped tool to go round the edge of the design then scoop out the large parts with the u shaped tool. Before sticking the foam to the wooden backing I stamped the wood with the design. The foam has a sticky backing so can then be simply cut out and mounted to the wood. And that’s it. A custom made stamp ready to go.
As the kit was a gift I then used my stamps to create a thank you card. Woot! Since making the stamps I’ve found that the candle design has been really useful for making simple birthday cards.
I made these framed origami butterflies for a friend’s birthday. It features two origami designs from Michael Lafosse’s Origami Butterflies. It’s a lovely book with simple to follow instructions. I stuck the butterflies to some patterned card with sticky foam squares so they sat firmly against the card. I used doubled up squares behind the wings to support them and to prevent the butterflies from tilting backwards. I finally mounted the card into a deep box frame.
I made quite a few butterflies with various patterned paper and chose the best ones to go in the frame. Since I had some left I used one to make this simple birthday card.
Here’s a simple silly birthday card that I made with coloured pens, googly eyes, coloured card and some red cord.
I drew two copies of a simple monster with a thick outline, cut them out and stuck one on the front and the other on the inside. On the front of the card I cut out the eye holes and then covered them with a pair of googly eyes.
On the inside I coloured the eyes back and glued some red chord to them and the other end of the cord to the back of the googly eyes making sure the cord was long enough for the card to open fully.
Finally I added the speech bubble. I stuck this on with a foam square to add some dimension.
So the recipient gets a monster surprise when they open the card.
These Space Invaders inspired nails were really simple to do with Sharpie pens. I started with a regular french manicure then copied the pixel squares one at a time with a Sharpie pen. I finished with a good quality clear varnish. I find sometimes the Sharpie ink can run if you spread the top coat too thin so I try to gloop it on thickly. It just takes a little longer to dry.
There’s been lots of new arrivals in the last year so I’ve been having fun making toys and new baby cards.
This was my make of the Bloomsbury Elephant knitting pattern by Amanda Berry made for my super cute nephew.
The pattern is available to buy on Ravelry
The pattern designer has lots of other wonderful looking patterns on her page: Amanda Berry
It was very simple to follow and I’m really happy with the result. I also decided to knit a little scarf to keep him warm.
I have a bit of an addiction to Kilner jars for storing things in my kitchen. SO instead of adding sticky labels to the jars I’ve made these hand written labels. They were done with another wonderful Christmas gift that I received. Manuscript Calligraphy Pens
So I expect they’ll be a lot of crafting this year that will incorporate learning a new skill. I have already made a start pinning some tutorials: Calligraphy on Pinterest